Date(s) - 07/07/2021
6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Abstract Oil Pastel Course – Four Weeks
In this course you will be introduced to the art medium of oil pastels. Oil pastels are “oil paint in a stick” but not smelly! What’s so amazing about this medium is that they apply smoothly and blend easily. They come in clear, brilliant, long-lasting, and fade-resistant colors and can be used on a variety of substrates (or surfaces), like paper, board or canvas.
Oil pastels are a unique material that is often associated with both drawing and painting. However, in most classrooms, they are mostly used as a drawing material. This thought alone might transform how you’re using oil pastels. Try looking at oil pastels as an alternative method of painting or drawing with paint. In fact, oil pastels can be used to teach some of the techniques commonly taught with acrylic or oil paint.
This class is for those who aren’t afraid of getting a little messy and to express themselves creatively through art making. You will create an original work of art that reflects your feelings and unique individuality.
In this course you will:
- Learn how to read the colour wheel and mix colours
- Work with oil pastels applying multiple techniques of blending, layering and gradation of colours
- Create different original abstract composition incorporating drawing, shading and your own colour choices and learning several oil pastel techniques
Date: Wednesday, July 7, July 14, July 21, July 28
Course begins on June 30 and runs for four weeks
Cost: $95+HST for 4 classes (not including materials)
Cost: $125+HST for 4 classes (including your abstract pastel art kit for the course). The last day to request kits for the GTA is July 4.
Last day for shipping kits is July 3. Please note, shipping charges will apply. Kits can be picked up from the studio.
Your Art Kit includes:
- One pastel paper pad
- Two large pastel paper sheets for the final project
- Masonite board
- Set of at least 24 pastels in various colors or two small boxes of assorted pastels.
- Blending Stumps
- Sharpie Black marker
- a few q-tip/cotton-swabs
- Sharp spatula and/or toothpicks
- Matte Varnish (Golden or Liquitex)
HANDY ITEMS YOU MIGHT HAVE AT HOME:
- Paper towels, paper napkin, or tissue – Use whatever is in the house and easy!
- Round lids, a compass or other round shape to trace for a circle (found at home) have 2-3 different sizes.
- Newspaper or plastic table cloth to cover your work area, table top.
- Small rag (old small towel, t-shirt etc) to wipe off dirty or stained oil pastels and your fingertips.
Bookings are closed for this event.